A freshman at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater Idaho
Falls Science Fair, April 26. He was attempting to show how conditioned we
have become to the alarmists practicing junk science and spreading fear of
everything in our environment. In his project he urged people to sign a
petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the
chemical "dihydrogen monoxide."
And for plenty of good reasons, since it can:
1. cause excessive sweating and vomiting
2. it is a major component in acid rain
3. it can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
4. accidental inhalation can kill you
5. it contributes to erosion
6. it decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes
7. it has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients
He asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical dihydrogen
monoxide. Forty-three said yes, six were undecided, and only one knew
that the chemical was...water.
The title of his prize winning project was, "How Gullible Are We?" The
conclusion is obvious.